Fellows Nomination Criteria
Before you start the submission process, please carefully review the guidelines for submitting an AGU Fellow nomination.
NOMINEE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENT(S)
NOMINATOR ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENT(S)
- Eligible nominees’ AGU member join year is 2013 or earlier
- Eligible nominees should be a current AGU member and have active AGU membership (i.e., renewed) in 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Primary criteria for evaluation in scientific eminence are: (1) breakthrough or discovery; (2) innovation in disciplinary science, cross-disciplinary science, instrument development, or methods development; and/or (3) sustained scientific impact
- Review AGU Conflict of Interest policy for ineligible nominees
SUPPORTER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENT(S)
NOMINATION INFORMATION REQUIREMENTS
Nominators must provide the following information:
- Active AGU membership is required
- Review AGU Conflict of Interest policy for ineligible relationships
- Duplicate nominations for one individual will not be accepted. However, one co-nominator is permitted—but not required—per nomination package.
- The nominee’s AGU join date (year); and
- The nominee’s primary section or focus group affiliation.
Note: Inclusion of the nominee’s Hirsch index (i.e., h-index) score, a nomination requirement in previous years, is now optional
. A recent review of the AGU Fellows program suggests the following actions for use of h-index in Fellows nominations:
- the h-index is one potential indicator of scientific merit but should not be a major deciding factor in consideration of candidacy
- If the h-index is used in a nomination package or is mentioned in letters, it is incumbent on the writer to include the source of the h-index and a URL that has been uniquely identified for the candidate’s h-index calculation.
- If the h-index is used, it is meant to be compared only within the same scientific discipline.
To verify a nominee’s join date and primary affiliation, please view the Membership Directory via the AGU Member Portal
; or contact the Member Services staff at: email@example.com
NOMINATION PACKAGE REQUIREMENTS
*EACH DOCUMENT SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 2 PAGES IN LENGTH*
Please note that only complete packages will be forwarded to Section and Focus Group Fellows committees for review.
- Nomination letter with one-sentence citation (i.e., citation should be 150 characters or less). Letterhead stationary is preferred. Nominator’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae. List the candidate’s (1) name, (2) mailing and e-mail address, (3) history of employment, (4) degrees, (5) research experience, (6) honors, (7) memberships, and (8) service to the community through committee work, advisory boards, etc.
- Nominee’s selected bibliography. Briefly state the total number and types of publications and specifying the number published in AGU publications. For example: Jane Doe is the author of 92 publications, 86 in peer-reviewed scientific journals, 14 of which have been published in AGU journals and books. The following selected list best supports Jane’s nomination for AGU Fellow.
- The nominee’s Hirsch index (i.e., h-index) score. Please note that the h-index is optional and plays only a secondary role in evaluation. ISI Web of Knowledge is a recommended resource.
- A minimum of 3 but no more than 5 letters of support (total does not include nomination letter). Letterhead stationary is preferred. Supporter’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required. Diverse supporters (i.e., individuals who are not currently/recently associated with the nominee’s institution) are strongly encouraged.
For detailed information on nomination requirements, please view the AGU Fellows frequently asked questions (FAQ) section
Questions? Please contact the AGU Union Honors at firstname.lastname@example.org.