The following College of Fellows subcommittee is responsible for planning and implementation of the Town Hall Meeting sessions during AGU’s Fall Meeting. The subcommittee hosted their first Town Hall Meeting during Fall Meeting 2017.
Previous Town Hall topics:
- “Publish or Perish? Publishing for Promotion
Insights on publishing from an Invited Panel of Scientists and Editors” hosted at Fall Meeting 2017 and featuring a panel of seven scientists and editors. A reception for the Fellows followed the Town Hall. Learn more about the College of Fellows’ 2017 efforts.
- “Advancing the career versus the science: how should scientific excellence be evaluated?” hosted at Fall Meeting 2018 and featuring a panel of leaders. Though the audience was engaged, there was low turnout. The subcommittee chair discussed the idea of shifting the focus from presenting town hall session (there is so much competition during Fall Meeting) to possible creating a yearly webinar series for the various topics they have been discussing. With a webinar series, there is possibility of getting more participation, as well as aligning with AGU’s Talent Pool strategy and plan.
Please contact Steven Goldstein, Town Hall Meeting subcommittee chair, if you have questions about the activities and/or work of the subcommittee.
Steven Goldstein, Columbia University – Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
Jean-Pierre Vilotte, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris
- Jeff Dozier, University of California Santa Barbara
- Patricia Quinn, NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
- David Schimel, NASA JPL
- Peter Schlosser, Columbia University
- Stephen E. Schwartz. Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Seth Stein, Northwestern University
- Lynne Talley, University of California San Diego
- Dominique Weis, University of British Columbia