Nomination Package Requirements
Below are the required materials to be included in all Union Fellow nomination for consideration. Note: starting in 2018, only 3 letters of support will be accepted.
- Nomination letter with one-sentence citation. The nomination should include a brief history of the candidate’s work and the publications that have resulted, and should also indicate which section Fellows committee should review the package. It must include a short citation as the final sentence, which encapsulates the essence of the individual’s contributions. Short citations should be no more than 150 characters – including punctuation and spacing. The character count is strongly adhered. Nominators will be asked to revise any short citation that exceeds the allotted character count. If this request is not complied, AGU staff will remove any text beyond the 150 character count (copyediting will not be provided). Letterhead stationary is preferred to include nominator’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae. CVs must list all the following candidate information: name, mailing and e-mail address, history of employment, degrees, research experience, honors, memberships, service to the community through committee work, advisory boards, etc.
- Nominee’s selected bibliography. Each selected bibliography should begin by briefly stating the candidate’s total number and types of publications and specifying the number published in AGU publications. For example:
Jane Doe is the author of 92 publications, 86 in peer-reviewed scientific journals, 14 of which have been published in AGU journals and books. The following selected list best supports Jane’s nomination for AGU Fellow.
- Optional: The nominee’s Hirsch index (aka H-index) score. ISI Web of Knowledge is the recommended resource. Whichever source used to calculate the nominee’s h-index it needs to be cited. Though a requirement in previous years, the h-index is now optional and plays a secondary role in evaluation. Information on how to calculate H-index can be found in the frequently asked questions (FAQ). The following actions are recommended when using h-index in Fellows nominations:
- The h-index is one potential indicator of scientific merit but should not be a major deciding factor in consideration of candidacy.
- If the h-index is used in a nomination package or is mentioned in letters, it is incumbent on the writer to include the source of the h-index and a URL that has been uniquely identified for the candidate’s h-index calculation.
- If the h-index is used, it is meant to be compared only within the same scientific discipline.
- Three (3) letters of support, excluding nomination letter. Letterhead stationary is preferred. Supporter’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required. Diverse supporters (i.e. individuals who are not currently/recently associated with the nominee’s institution) are strongly encouraged.
Nomination Format Requirements
Each document should be no more than 2 pages in length; only complete packages will be forwarded to for review. AGU prefers the use of either Calibri 11 pt. or Times New Roman 12 pt. font size for all documents (i.e. nomination letter, letters of support, selected bibliography, curriculum vitae). If the font size used is too small, you will be asked to revise the document.
The AGU online submission system accepts .doc, .wpd, .pdf, and .jpeg formatted files. If you experience difficulty uploading a Fellows nomination, please contact the Program Manager.
Nomination letters should contain the nominator and co-nominator’s (if applicable) signature, full name, title, e-mail or telephone number, and institution affiliation. In addition, nominators and supporters are encouraged to submit letters using their institution’s letterhead. Electronic or official signatures and letterhead are acceptable. AGU will not accept more than two signatures on a nomination letter (i.e., one nominator plus one co-nominator).
Letters of support should contain the author’s signature, full name, title, e-mail or telephone number, and institution affiliation. In addition, supporters are encouraged to submit letters using their institution’s letterhead. Electronic or official signatures and letterhead are acceptable.
Fellows nominations can be submitted either online or by regular mail delivery. However, to expedite the submission process, please use the online submission system. Please only choose one mode of submission, you do not need to send a print version if you submit the package online and vise versa.
Nominations submitted by post should include a completed nomination cover sheet outlining all package materials, along with the required nomination components outlined above. Please send the complete nomination package to:
Attn: Chelsea Fuller
2000 Florida Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009, USA
Nomination packages submitted online must be complete at the time of submission. Please only hit the “submit” button once your nomination is complete. Once the nomination is submitted, no additional information can be submitted online thereafter.
For more information on nomination requirements or additional questions please view the AGU Fellows frequently asked questions (FAQ) or contact Union Fellows Program Manager.