Nomination Package Requirements
Below are the required materials to be included in all Union Fellow nomination for consideration; please note starting in 2018, only 3 letters of support will be accepted.
- Nomination letter with one-sentence citation. Letterhead stationary is preferred to include nominator’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required.The citation must appear at either the beginning or end of the nomination letter and be no more than 150 characters.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae. CVs must list all the following candidate information: name, mailing and e-mail address, history of employment, degrees, research experience, honors, memberships, service to the community through committee work, advisory boards, etc.
- Nominee’s selected bibliography. Briefly state the total number and types of publications and specifying the number published in AGU publications. For example: Jane Doe is the author of 92 publications, 86 in peer-reviewed scientific journals, 14 of which have been published in AGU journals and books. The following selected list best supports Jane’s nomination for AGU Fellow.
- Optional: The nominee’s Hirsch index (aka H-index) score. ISI Web of Knowledge is the recommended resource. Though a requirement in previous years, the h-index is now optional and plays a secondary role in evaluation. A recent AGU Fellows program review suggests the following actions when using h-index in Fellows nominations:
- The h-index is one potential indicator of scientific merit but should not be a major deciding factor in consideration of candidacy
- If the h-index is used in a nomination package or is mentioned in letters, it is incumbent on the writer to include the source of the h-index and a URL that has been uniquely identified for the candidate’s h-index calculation.
- If the h-index is used, it is meant to be compared only within the same scientific discipline.
- 3 letters of support, excluding nomination letter. Letterhead stationary is preferred. Supporter’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required. Diverse supporters (i.e. individuals who are not currently/recently associated with the nominee’s institution) are strongly encouraged.
Nomination Format Requirements
Each document should be no more than 2 pages in length and only complete packages will be forwarded to Section Fellows committees for review. AGU prefers all documents use either Calibri 11 pt. or Times New Roman 12 pt. font size for all nomination documents (i.e. nomination letter, letters of support, selected bibliography, curriculum vitae). If the font size used is too small, you will be asked to revise the document.
Fellows nominations can be submitted either online or by regular mail delivery. However, to expedite the submission process, please use the online submission system. Please only choose one mode of submission, you do not need to send a print version if you submit the package online and vise versa.
Nominations submitted by post should include a completed nomination cover sheet along with other package components. Please send the complete nomination cover sheet and package to:
Attn: Fellows Committee
2000 Florida Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009, USA
Nomination packages submitted online must be complete at the time of submission. Please only hit the “submit” button once your nomination is complete. Once the nomination is submitted, no additional information can be submitted online thereafter.
For more information on nomination requirements or additional questions please view the AGU Fellows frequently asked questions (FAQ) or contact AGU Union Fellows coordinator.