Nomination Process & Requirements
The Devendra Lal Memorial Medal is given annually to one honoree in recognition of “outstanding Earth and/or space sciences research by a scientist belonging to and working in a developing country.”
Established in 2016, the Devendra Lal Medal is named in honor of Professor Devendra Lal, a distinguished geophysicist whose work spanned diverse areas of the Earth and space sciences. He is best known for his role in founding and developing the field in which cosmic rays produced isotopes on Earth and are used as tracers to investigate a wide range of Earth science problems.
• Engraved medal
• AGU Conferred Fellow (if honoree is not already an AGU Fellow, and has been an AGU member for three consecutive years at the time of their award, with exceptions allowed in cases of financial hardship )
• Lifetime AGU membership
• Invitation to present a lecture at the AGU Fall Meeting during the award presentation year.
• Recognition at the AGU Fall Meeting during the award presentation year
• Complimentary registration for the AGU Fall Meeting during the award presentation year
• Four complimentary hotel nights at the AGU Fall Meeting during the award presentation year
• Two complimentary tickets to the Honors Banquet at the AGU Fall Meeting during the award presentation year
• Recognition in Eos
- Scientific excellence: the scientific excellence of the candidate’s body of published work as well as his/her contributions to human capital in the developing country. Recipients must be a citizen from a developing country and must have done their work in a developing country.
- Scientific impact: how the candidate’s work has made a significant impact on his/her field, and/or to its growth, through influencing current and future research at a border level, particularly in the developing country.
- Broader impact: the candidate’s impact on his/her field in the developing country, notable service to his/her field, and aligning these contributions with the mission/vision of the American Geophysical Union.
Career level: All
Nominee eligibility: (1) Active AGU membership is not required. (2) Nominee must be an early career or mid-career scientist who is within 10 to 20 years of receiving their PhD or highest equivalent terminal degree as of 1 January of the year of presentation. Exceptions to the 10 to 20 year requirement due to unusual circumstances can be considered on a case basis by the current Devendra Lal Medal Committee.
Nominator eligibility: (NEW) Active AGU membership is required
Conferred Fellowship: This is granted to the honoree if they have been an AGU member for three consecutive years at the time of their award, with exceptions allowed in cases of financial hardship (determined through established AGU definition).
Sections/Focus Groups: All
Nomination Process & Requirements
1. Eligible Nominee. (1) Active AGU membership is not required. (2) Nominee must be an early career or mid-career scientist who is within 10 to 20 years of receiving their PhD or highest equivalent terminal degree as of 1 January of the year of presentation. Exceptions to the 10 to 20 year requirement due to unusual circumstances can be considered on a case basis by the current Devendra Lal Medal Committee.
2. Eligible Nominator. (NEW) Active AGU membership is required.
3. Eligible Supporters. Active AGU membership is not required.
4. Ineligible Nominees. The following individuals and/or groups are not eligible to be candidates for the Devendra Lal Medal during their terms of service:
- AGU President;
- AGU President-elect;
- Council Leadership Team members;
- Honors and Recognition Committee members;
- Devendra Lal Medal Committee members; and
- All full-time AGU staff
5. Relationship to a Devendra Lal Medal Nominee. AGU policy on the relationship to a nominee is applicable to committee members, nominators, and supporters. The following relationships need to be identified and communicated to the Devendra Lal Medal Committee, but will not disqualify individuals from participating in the nomination or committee review process:
- Current dean, departmental chair, supervisor, supervisee, laboratory director, an individual with whom one has a current business or financial relationship (e.g., business partner, employer, employee);
- Research collaborator or co-author within the last three years; and/or
- An individual working at the same institution or having accepted a position at the same institution.
The following offices and relationships are nomination disqualifiers for the Devendra Lal Medal:
- AGU President, President – elect, Honors and Recognition Committee, Council Leadership Team, and AGU staff cannot nominate or write supporting letters for candidates.
- Nominator/supporter(s) for this medal should not be on the Devendra Lal Medal selection committee.
- Family member, spouse or partner.
- Mentor – Mentee relationships established during graduate studies or postdoc fellowships:
- A previous graduate (Masters or Ph.D.) and/or postdoctoral advisor, or postdoctoral fellow may not write a nomination letter but may write a supporting letter after five years of terminating their relationship with the nominee beginning on 1 January after the year the relationship was terminated.
- A former doctoral or graduate student, or a former postdoctoral fellow may not write a nomination letter for a former advisor, but may write a supporting letter after five years of terminating their relationship with the nominee beginning on 1 January after the year the relationship was terminated.
- Termination of a relationship is defined as follows: (1) nominee is no longer being paid by supporter; (2) nominee is no longer supported under the same grant or contract
- Chairs and members of the Devendra Lal Medal selection committee are conflicted with the above – mentioned mentor – mentee relationships and should recuse themselves from participating in the deliberation, evaluation, and voting process for that nominee.
For more details, please review the AGU conflict of interest policy.
6. Additional Conflicts.
- The chair of the Devendra Lal Medal Committee who is a supervisor of the nominee is conflicted from participating in the review and selection process.
- Members of the Devendra Lal Medal Committee may for other reasons determine that they have conflicts or potential conflicts that require elimination from service and then act on that determination if they believe that service could affect the fairness of the selection process.
Your nomination package should contain the following files, which should be no more than two (2) pages in length per document:
- Nomination letter with one-sentence citation (i.e., citation should be 150 characters or less). Letterhead stationary is preferred. Nominator’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required.;
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae. List the candidate’s (1) name, (2) mailing and e-mail address, (3) history of employment, (4) degrees, (5) research experience, (6) honors, (7) memberships, and (8) service to the community through committee work, advisory boards, etc.
- Nominee’s selected bibliography. Briefly state the total number and types of publications and specifying the number published in AGU publications. For example: Jane Doe is the author of 92 publications, 86 in peer-reviewed scientific journals, 14 of which have been published in AGU journals and books. The following selected list best supports Jane’s nomination for the Devendra Lal Medal.
- The selected bibliography should include the best 10 papers (in asterisk) that the nominator highlights as the nominee’s accomplishments that qualify him/her for the medal.
- Title of 10 best papers, authors list with affiliations, as it appears in the publications.
- 3 letters of support (total does not include nomination letter). Letterhead stationary is preferred. Supporter’s name, title, institution, and contact information are required.
SUBMISSIONS SENT VIA POSTAL OR COURIER DELIVERY ONLY: Nomination cover sheet – All packages sent via mail or courier delivery should include a completed cover sheet. (The online submission system will generate a cover sheet for nominators.)
Please note that only complete packages will be forwarded to the Devendra Lal Medal Committee for review. For detailed information on nomination requirements, please view the AGU Union Awards, Medals and Prize frequently asked questions (FAQ) section.
Devendra Lal Medal nominations can be submitted (1) online or (2) by regular mail delivery. However, to expedite the submission process, please use the online submission system. If you have submitted a package online, then please do not send a printed version to AGU headquarters.
To submit a nomination by regular mail delivery, please make sure to include the nomination cover sheet and mail to: American Geophysical Union, Attn: Honors Program, Awards Selection Committee, 1 Thomas Circle NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20005.